Those at a higher risk of Vitamin D deficiency are:
▪ the elderly because ageing impairs the production of vitamin D32
▪ housebound people and those covering their skin for medical or religious reason, because they don’t get sufficient exposure to sunlight.
▪ those with a naturally dark skin because darker skin reduces the penetration of UV light3. Dark-skinned people require 10-50 times the exposure to sunlight compared to individuals with a light skin4.
Factor 8 and 15 sunscreen, properly applied, reduces the skin’s ability to make vitamin D by 95% and 99% respectively5. So while it is important to protect ourselves against the damage that can be done by exposure to sunlight; in doing so, we increase the risk on developing a Vitamin D deficiency.
Supports bone health
Calcium and vitamin D work together to protect the bones in our bodies. Calcium helps build and maintain healthy, strong bones; while vitamin D helps the body efficiently absorb calcium from foods. Even if you are getting enough calcium through your diet, you may not be absorbing it if you are deficient in vitamin D. This could increase the risk at developing osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is a condition characterised by bone fragility and an increased susceptibility to fractures, especially of the spine and hip, although any bone can be affected. It is estimated that 23% of women and 6% of men over the age of 50 have osteoporosis, though it may not always be diagnosed6.
Since bone loss occurs without symptoms, osteoporosis is often considered a ‘silent disease’. As deterioration of bone tissue progresses, the bones become so weak that a relatively minor bump or fall can cause a fracture or a vertebrae to collapse.
Fractures caused by either osteoporosis or low bone mass can lead to chronic pain, disability, as well as psychological symptoms, including depression. Unfortunately, approximately 24% of patients with hip fractures over the age of 50 will die in the year following the fracture7.
Interestingly, research has shown that vitamin D deficiency on its own, independent of osteoporosis, is a predictor of falls in older people. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with impaired balance, increased muscle mass loss, lower-extremity muscle weakness and impaired strength and physical function8. Research has shown that vitamin D supplementation can help reduce the risk of falling by more than 20%9 and can thus independently of calcium help reduce the risk at bone fractures.
Supports a healthy immune system
Over the last decade, it has become clear that vitamin D does more than justsupport strong, healthy bones. Many research papers have shown that it also supports the immune system, and that low vitamin D levels are associated with an increased susceptibility to infection10. Supplementation can result in a 42% decrease in the incidence of influenza infection11.
Supports a healthy cardiovascular system
A growing number of studies point to vitamin D deficiency as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, such as high blood pressure. Low vitamin D levels have been associated with increased prevalence of hypertension and atherosclerosis. How this exactly works isn’t yet clear, but studies so far have shown that maintaining optimal vitamin D levels play an important role in supporting cardiovascular health12.
▪ Vitamin D can help maintain healthy and strong bones and teeth, because it is necessary to absorb calcium from the foods we eat
▪ Vitamin D can help support the immune system. Low levels of vitamin D are associated with increased susceptibility to infections
▪ Vitamin D can help support heart health. Low levels of vitamin D are associated with an increased risk at cardiovascular disease.
▪ Convenient 1-a-day dose
▪ High strength
▪ Supplied in oil for enhanced absorption
APPROVED LABEL CLAIM
Microgenics Vitamin D3 1,000IU helps prevent dietary (Vitamin D) deficiency when dietary intake is inadequate in elderly individuals. It can maintain Vitamin D levels in the body when sun exposure is inadequate. Vitamin D3 helps maintain bone mineralisation and bone strength. It also supports healthy cardiovascular and immune system function.
▪ üüSupports bone health
▪ üüMaintains bone strength
▪ üüSupports healthy cardiovascular and immune system function
INGREDIENTS (per capsule)
Colecalciferol 25micrograms (Vitamin D3 1,000IU)
CONTAINS NO ADDED
Wheat, corn, gluten, yeast, dairy products, egg, artificial flavours, preservatives or sweeteners.
Store below 30°C, away